4 to 6
- 500g cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 50g vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 100g roasted cashews
- 120g finely crumbled feta or cottage cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 80g bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cheese as desired, such as cheddar or Swiss (optional)
- 4 to 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Condiments as desired, such as ketchup, mustard
- Toppings as desired, such as shredded lettuce, sliced onions, and pickles
Step by step
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil.
2. Add onion, garlic and green capsicum. Cook about 5 mins.
3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
4. Place cashews in a food processor and chop.
5. Place onions and capsicum in a bowl.
6. Place beans in food processor. Pulse until beans roughly chopped.
7. Transfer to bowl with onion/capsicum mixture.
8. Add egg and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Fold together gently.
9. Form 6-8 patties from been mixture.
10. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook and flip until well browned.
11. Add cheese if desired. Add toppings to top/bottom bun as desired. Close burgers and serve immediately.